Saturday, October 16, 2004

Wreck of the Stampeders

Its bitter cold in Calgary today. The chilly wind is untypical of the post-Thanksgiving pre-Halloween period, yet not entirely unexpected. While that wind was blowing through me and I was thinking over my upcoming prostate exam, I could'nt help but think of that classic Gordon Lightfoot song The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

I had a friend, ironically named Ed, who insisted it was The Wreck of the Edgar Fitzsimmon and could not be convinced otherwise. I realized that in order to let him be the man he needed to be I had to stop arguing about it.

Anyway, around the same time this song popped into my head I looked over the hill and saw that the Calgary Stampeders were playing a home game against the Argos. Well, that Stadium certainly looked empty. A little demoralized are we folks? Next time some carpet-bagger wants to buy your team just say no.

So I started singing to myself and oops...

The legend lives on from McMahon on down
Of the big team they call the Stampeders
The team it is said, always rolls over dead
When the skies of October turn gloomy.

With a load of bad press, the Herald and more
Than their morale could possibly cope with
That broken team quite blue was a bone to be chewed
When the gales of October came early

The team had no pride after the labor day slide
Coming back from some drilling in Edmonton
As disasters all go it was bigger than most
With no chance of redeeming the season.

The wind in the stands made a tattletale sound
As the Ball came over their goal-line
And every man knew, as Dunnigan did, too,
T'Was the witch of October come stealing.

Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When turnovers turn the minutes to hours
Brian Williams had to say, they'd had victory today
If they'd left 15 penalties behind them.

The legend lives on from McMahon on down
Of the big team the call the Stampeders
The Stampeders they say, always roll over dead
When the gales of October come early.



Ok, enough already. Stop it. Yeah, I know Edmonton does'nt rhyme with Wisconsin. Its the rhythm that counts, you got to have the rhythm. And i got the rhythm, there's no doubt about that.

Please recommend this post

No comments: